Wednesday, August 31, 2011

ENGLAND 2011 -- 8

+ I wrote the following last Thursday, August 25:


+ We are on our way to London from Southampton as we move into the second half of our journey. We have 2 weeks to go. Our friend John will be joining us in 2 days We are staying in Glasgow for the first 6 days beginning Saturday, August 27. I am working on a revised itinerary for our last week because we decided to travel by train and bus rather than a rental car. Driving in the UK is quite a challenge. I think it is wo25rth it but Mary finds it very VERY nerve racking.


+ I would still like to get into the English country side a bit more. But I did get to see a lot from the car we rented. I think a few days on a bicycle in the Cotswolds would be delightful. Maybe some day. I was planning to do some hiking near Winchester but I simply ran out of time.


+ Bristol is off of the radar for Rick Steves but we found it fascinating. Two very impressive Anglican churches. A historical and picturesque suspension bridge over the Avon gorge. An inviting harbor. The oldest Methodist Church on the planet.


+ Southampton is also off of Rick's radar. It is somewhat more of an acquired taste than Bristol but I definitely acquired it! Ferry to the Isle of Wight. Remnants of the old wall.

No comments: